The French Double Manual Harpsichord
Built by Larry Eckstein of West Lafayette, Indiana in 1982. The instrument is a replica of a model made in 1709 by Dumont, rebuilt in 1789 Dumont -Taskin, which currently in the Paris Conservatory Museum. In a rebuild, the cheek and spine were removed and additional keys were added. The most common stand for an instrument of this style is in the Louis XVI style, as seen here. Subsequent work has been performed by Paul Irvin.
Range: Contra F to F3
The soundboard painting is by Ann DeCamp of West Lafayette Indiana. The motif is from the original Instrument.
The strings are made of Red Brass (or Phosphor Bronze) and Yellow Brass; the middle to upper strings made of iron.
Plectra: Older instruments used crow quills or crow/raven quills. Now most common substitute is either Dellrin or Celcon. This instrument uses Celcon quills.
Weighs 150 lbs, 90 inches long, 37 inches wide.
This instrument was used in the production of several of Mr. Schrader's compact disks, including PADRE ANTONIO SOLER, HARPSICHORD SONATAS, VOLUME II, George Frideric Handel: Cantatas, and his recording of Bach's Goldberg Variations. It has been used by Mr. Schrader in several recording with Trio Settecento, and has been heard on WFMYT radio in its program "Live from Studio One".
For more information about French double manual harpsichords see http://www.harpsichord-man.com/french.htm
This instrument is available for rent.